Banking & FinanceMay 24, 2017
Capacity Building & TrainingMay 24, 2017
Our representation reflects the varied nature of Nigerian businesses and financial regulatory bodies. These include banking and financial institutions, manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers, and corporate and business service providers, including insurance brokers and accountants. Working with our team will give you access to lawyers who have a sound knowledge of commercial issues and a pragmatic approach to managing corporate matters including taxation. Our Corporate Advisory and Taxation Group is able to provide representation and advisory services on all aspects relating to corporate advisory and taxation.
How We Can Help
Our Corporate Advisory and Taxation Group comprises of lawyers, with experience in advising on, structuring and documenting business and finance transactions. We provide both a public and a private sector perspective on commercial and tax transactions. Our team is able to provide representation and advisory services on all aspects relating to taxation including review of applicable legal/tax regime, review of corporate structures and business entry strategies for both local and foreign entities as it affects their tax liabilities, investigation of tax evasion and avoidance strategies, recovery of unremitted taxes, dispute resolution between tax authorities and tax payers and provision of capacity building services.
Some of the key achievements of our Corporate Advisory and Taxation Group are listed below:
- Providing Company secretarial services to a number of privately held companies.
- Advised Africa Capital Alliance on the tax implications of its proposed project structure for the development of a mixed use 10 storey property in Lagos.
- Represented the interests of the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service (LIRS) in a suit for the recovery of N700,000,000.00 (Seven Hundred Million Naira) worth of unremitted tax by an upstream oil and gas company. SCP specifically assisted the LIRS in reviewing the tax evasion strategies adopted by the oil company.
- Advised the Osun State Government on strategies to increase internally generated revenue using the instrumentality of the Personal Income Tax Act, Companies Income Tax Act and the State’s Partnership Law.
- Advised Kohler EMEA, a French company, on its potential tax liabilities for conducting business in Nigeria directly or indirectly.
- Advised Vertex Energy regarding finance structuring including negotiating and documenting complex shareholder agreements amongst various investors.
- Advised a leading private equity firm regarding its investments and restructuring options in a special purpose vehicle set up for the manufacture of packaging products for Nigeria’s beverage industry.
- Advised a leading gas company in Nigeria in a multi-disciplinary review and re-structuring of its operations in line with emerging legal & commercial developments in Nigeria’s energy industry, including the tax implications of its proposed restructuring.
- Advised in corporate restructuring and risk mitigation analysis of the local operations of the world’s leading security services provider.
- Advised on joint venture structuring between Skye Bank and Fourscore for condominium projects in Ikoyi, Lagos.
- Acted as investment adviser and transactional counsel for the project financing, structuring of the nationwide development of Protea Hotels in Nigeria;
- Conducted FCPA audit analysis in divestment of interest in local operations of a multinational company.
- Part of the Legal Advisory Team acting for Lagos State Government in Taxation & Revenue Law related litigation against the government of the federation over Value Added Tax and Sales Tax;
- Tax advisor and consultant consulting for Dutch, Swiss and UAE multi-national companies among others on tax laws, regimes and compliance in Nigeria;
- Defensive representation for State Tax Authorities in a multi-million naira tax liability against an oil service company at the Tax Appeal Tribunal;